Saturday, 22 April 2017

A C2C (Corner to Corner) crochet Duck panel

Just one of those evenings when you need to fiddle with something, but inspiration has escaped and ran down the road.

I went to search through my laptop for my "things I must try" list and found nothing that inspired me there.  But then, accidentally, I clicked on the icon for my Cross-Stitch designer - I used to design and sell the odd Cross-Stitch pattern about 12 years ago.   

So I was browsing through them when I found a group of Farmyard Animals that I had done.  after a little editing, I printed out a pattern suitable for a C2C panel.  I went and dug some yarn out of my stash and got to work.

Can you tell what it is yet?  Oh yeah, a Duck - because I told you that already!

I put a photo on my Facebook page and got all sorts of random answers - a Mario Mushroom, Angry Birds, Pokemon, Christmas Tree (!!), Dragon.... I can see where most of them were coming from.

Oh, and an eye appears.

Ahhh, and then we have a Duck... but also a huge issue!  I ran out of yarn!!   And as it was from my stash, and unbanded, I have no idea what it was or where it was from.  It is a strange lillacy blue colour too so no hope of matching it.

So, now I am deciding whether to pull it all out, just put it in the bin, or add a totally different coloured corner.


Friday, 21 April 2017

Everest blanket for Derek Eland / Artist on Everest

It was a good while ago that I made "The Everest Blanket" for artist Derek Eland.

Each section of the blanket was taken from a photograph that Derek took whilst he was "Artist on Everest"

I crocheted four rows in each sitting, using the colours from one photo at a time.

The split photos before show the photo of Derek's that I worked from along side the crochet I created from those colours that jumped out at me.

And then it was done! A riot of glorious colour.  If I had have told you I was making a blanket based on colours from the photos taken on Mount Everest, would you have expected it to be so colourful?   No, me neither.  White, grey and blue I expected.

As I say, it has been a while since I made this and it has now gone to it's new home in Derek's house, but there is an exhibition of Derek's amazing work on Everest.  It is at Rheged and is on from SATURDAY 29 APRIL – SUNDAY 2 JULY 2017l

If you can, do take the time to go and see it, it is free entry and I am sure it will blow you away.

Wednesday, 5 April 2017

C2C (Corner to Corner) Crochet Owl Panel

I have had loads of people ask me for a "Graphghan" workshop.

A Graphghan is working from a chart to create a picture within a piece of crochet.  It can be done with Granny Squares, Bobbles and the popular C2C stitch.

So, off I went, opened my Cross-Stitch program  (did you know I used to design the odd Cross-Stitch pattern) and designed what I thought would be a workable pattern.

An Owl, everyone loves owls don't they?

I grabbed some yarn and first of all I weighed it, after all if I was going to run a workshop I would need to know how much yarn everyone would need.

Then I started hooking away merrily.

Well before this point I realised that this was not going to be a workable class, it was taking me far too long so would take students even longer.

I finished it anyway having spend over 6 hours on it!

Still, it worked out nice, and when I make a few more it will tile together to make a fun blanket.

Feel free to use the chart above if you would like to make your own, but I would appreciate it if you would credit me when you do  :)

And, back to the cross-stitch programme to create a simpler design  :)

Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Fabric Padded Sewn Letters

I recently made some cute padded letters for Granddaughter Hope to hang in her bedroom.

They are so easy to do and take barely any time at all.

You simply draw your letter on a piece of fabric with a heat-sensitive pen (which means when you iron it the ink disappears) then  sandwich some wadding in-between two pieces of fabric, with the drawn on one on top.

With a sewing machine, or even by hand if you wish, sew around the letter you drew.

Then take some pinking sheers and leaving about 5mm around the stitching, cut carefully around the letter.

See?  Simples!

Now to do some for Granddaughter Ellie.  :)

Friday, 24 March 2017

Juicy Lemon 'n' Lime Crochet Baby Blanket

I was commissioned to do a baby blanket.  I love commissions off this lady as she is always more than happy to step away from the traditional blue & pink stuff and gives me something interesting to do.

She wanted something pastel, colourful but neutral so I suggested this lovely lemon & lime coloured Baby Print yarn from Hobbycraft.

Teamed with a ball of white to break it up - although having made it I don't think the white was required at all, it blends in like it looks like it is part of the ball.

And so a lovely, soft, gender neutral baby blanket was made.  Big enough to use in a pram, car seat and later on, a cot.