Sunday 24 June 2012

Needle Felted Birds

I thought I would treat my Mum, Vera, to a class at Higham Hall.

Leafing through the booklet I spotted a Needle Felted Bird class, in conjunction with Woolfest, just a day class which was perfect as Mum doesn't like to leave Dad on his own too long. (She worries)

So at 8.00am Thursday morning we set of for Higham.

The class was being run by Sue Allan from Sewsister.  

Neither of us have ever done felting of any form before, so we were total newbies.  We walked into the room to find a couple of examples, and got immediately excited.  Not sure what we were expecting, but it wasn't quite this!



We started with two pieces of hand-made felt which we cut into a "segment" shape, sewed it around, (leaving a gap) then stuffed.


We then took lumps of "wool tops" and needle punched them into the felt in whatever pattern we chose.  I picked a load of wool tops in a pinky purple colour-way, and punched them in in stripes, adding squares of silver organza ribbon for patches of sparkle, and a twisted strip of blue for a curly wing effect.


Mum decided she was making a cockerel, so chose reds, oranges and browns for her colour-scheme.


Once the bodies were complete, we then went on to make felt beaks, and wired legs before the final assembly.


I have named mine "Burd", the Cockerel is called "Dennis".



We had a fantastic day, the tutor was wonderful and we were both chuffed to bits with our fantasy birds.
One classmate made this magnificent creature.


And a pic of everyones birds together.  What a colourful display.


I wasn't overly happy with the eyes on Burd though, I had taken a selection of beads and sequins with me but none of them seemed to fit.  So when I got home I took off the googly eyes he had and added a button with a bead on top, he seems to like them  :)


Burd now has pride of place on top of the TV.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.