Wednesday 8 June 2016

Teen Stitchers Course at Hobbycraft

I have recently just finished running another Teen Stitchers course at Hobbycraft in Carlisle.

I had three lovely young ladies on it, all wanting to learn how to use a sewing machine and begin sewing beautiful things.

The first week we spend learning how to thread the machine, as well as general housekeeping like changing a needle, swapping presser feet, changing stitches... and more.  Then we went on to make bunting, but I forgot to get a photo, which is a shame as it was really nice bunting.

Anyway, week two was cushions.  They each made their own pattern from graph paper, then cut out the fabric before sewing it together and embellishing it with ribbons and buttons.

I remembered the photo this week, don't those cushions look fabulous?


Here, have a close peek.  They were free to choose their own fabrics of course, and such great choices they made too.


Week three was "Tool Rolls", where they made little storage rolls for pencils, make up brushes, knick knacks.  Phones were measures so they could go in too  :)


Here they are proudly showing off their Tool Rolls.


Again, superb colour choices, they all co-ordinate so beautifully.


The final week was stuffed owls, with appliquéd tummies and eyes.   This took a little skill as they had to very carefully work around their pieces with a small zig-zag stitch.  You could cut the concentration with a knife, it was that thick!


I am sure I don't need to tell you what a great job they did of these, you can see for yourself.


This little fellow was finished in a bit of a rush and got his wing caught.....


... but you know what?  I like it, I think he has his hand on his hip in a rather joyful manner.  Maybe I will adapt the pattern so they all end up like that   :)


You will see some of these young ladies again as I am doing a follow up course, which starts at the end of June.  Looking forward to that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.