Sunday 13 March 2022

Glaze Test Tiles

We were asked to do some test tiles for Triaxial Glaze Blending later in the month.

I decided to do Terracotta as my final piece will be in Terracotta and it will give me an idea of what glazes to use.

I rolled the clay out at 0.6mm and cut it into small squares.

Another way of making test tiles is to stand them up to allow the glaze to run down – but my planned piece is going to be flat so I have made flat test tiles.


Once cut, I put holes in them so I can hang them up at some point – I also added some texture so see how the glaze reacts and pools within that.

I then painted a couple of coats of white slip down the centre so I can get an idea of how the glaze works across different coloured bases.

These will go off and be biscuit fired now ready for the next stage.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.