I got to work, using Bonus Chunky yarn in Sandstorm.
Would you like the pattern? Here you go then.
What you need:
- 250g Chunky Yarn (137 meters per 100g)
- Size 6mm Knitting Needles
- Knitting Sewing Needle
- 3 large chunky buttons around 38mm in diameter
- 18" Cushion Pad
- Cast on 65 stitches using the thumb method.
- 1st Row * K2, P2 rep from * to end K1
- 2nd Row *P1, K2 rep from * to end P2
- Repeat the last two rows another 5 times making a rib of 12 rows.
- ***13th row *K1, P4 rep from * to end
- 14th row *P1, K4 rep from * to end
- 15th-18th row - rep last two rows 2 more times
- 19th row - Knit
- 20th row - Purl ***
- From *** to *** is the pattern, repeat it until you have 28 pattern repeats in total,
Rib & Buttonholes
This is the buttonhole sizing for a 38mm button, but you can make the holes smaller by casting off less stitches, or larger by casting off more.
- Using the rib pattern, work 5 rows.
- Rib 12 stitches, cast of 5, Rib 13, cast of 5, Rib 13, cast of 5, Rib 12
- Rib 12, cast on 5, Rib 13, cast on 5, Rib 13, cast on 5, Rib 12
- Work 5 rows in rib. Cast off.
- Lay the piece flat on the floor and fold both ends in to make an envelope, the buttonhole rib should sit on top of the plain rib.
- Sew up the sides including the rib (sewing through the rib will be sewing through three layers of knitting, Pull it tight to look neat)
- Position the buttons to match the button holes and sew to the underneath rib.
- Stuff with a cushion pad and button up! Ta dah.....
And here is the finished product on display in Carlisle Hobbycraft where you can buy all the products needed and grab a free pattern at the same time :)
© Sue Simmons / SoozintheShed