Wednesday 20 February 2013

Braided rug class

At the Rag Rug class I attend (every other Tuesday at Upperby Institute, Carlisle) we had the pleasure of Gill Curwen, rug making extraordinaire, visiting.

She was showing us how to make Braided Rugs, or Plaited Rugs if you wish to sound less American.

This is her lovely sample...


We were using pieces of recycled fleece and blanket.  Gill taught us how to start off with a T-Bar, then plait (or braid) adding in 'corners' to make the rug turn while still laying flat.


I have to say, this was not my forte.  I blame my Mother for never letting my grow my hair long - I never learnt how to plait.


I can plait, or rather, I know the process of plaiting, but my tension is rubbish and I have loose bits.  I guess you could just say I am a baggy plaiter!

Twice I pulled my rubbish loose plait out, then I threw my toys out of the pram and sulked.  Maybe I will have another go sometime, or I might just leave it to my Mum, she seemed to do ok  :)


(sorry about the rubbishy photos, forgot to turn macro off!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.