Monday 28 October 2013

Apple Crumble Cupcakes

This weekend I was invited to an "Eid Party". Not being Muslim I was not really sure what this was, I knew it was a celebration of sorts, but when dancing, singing and dressing up in party clothes was mentioned, I was in!

I had to 'take something for the table'.  Wow, what a mean feat. I know a few Asian ladies and every single one of them is a fabulous cook.  I can bash up a mean Spiced Treacle cake, could have made that?  Nah.... too easy.  What about Apple Crumble?  I had loads of apples from my tree to use up?  Nah.... what if there were no spoons, or bowls, or cream.  I could have made Spicy Veggie pasties?  Nah, they were based on a Samosa recipe and wouldn't have been half as good as some that might be already there.  Flapjack?  Nah, never quite sure how that's gonna turn out - it's always delicious, but sometimes it can be a bit sticky.



I know!  I will make something I have never made before.... in fact, let's take it a step further and totally mash up the recipe.  Yes, Sooz, that makes total sense  (my sarcastic side talking).

Apple Crumble (coz it won't leave my head) Cupcakes!

So I peel and stew the apples with cinnamon and sugar while Googling recipes.  Uh oh, they all seem to use raw apples - I've just cooked mine.



At last, I find something which uses a jar of apple sauce, this will do.

Quickly glancing at the pile of apples I am stewing - it's a lot - I decide to make Apple Crumbles at the same time  (once it's in there, in the depths of my brain, it's stuck)  I bash up a Crumble mix in my usual haphazard way of "chuck it all in a bowl and see what happens".  Let me try and remember the recipe (ish) for you.

12 oz Plain Flour
6 ox Butter
6 oz Sugar (whatever you have, mine was a leftover lump of brown topped up with white)
A good shake (teacup?) of Oats

Rub butter into flour, add sugar and oats  - yep, really.  That's it!



Ok, back to the cakes.  I am using THIS recipe from All Recipes.

I measured out the stewed apple to 280g as is a jar.  Added 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda and watched it bubble away like something out of a witches cauldron.  I liked this bit, it was all fluffy and foamy.



Then you cream the butter and sugar  (stick your whisks in and beat)

Slowly beat in an egg  (crack it straight in the bowl and beat)

Gradually add flour and apple sauce, folding it in (plonk them both in the bowl and beat)




Pop into cake cases...


.....and top with a spoonful of crumble mix. Pat down lightly and cook Gas 4 for 20 mins or so.



Well, they look ok.


They're a bit 'cloggy' & the crumble topping is a bit powdery, so not the best I have ever made I don't think... but passable. I just wont tell anyone I made them  ;)


Edit:  The Eid party was cancelled, which was a shame as I was looking forward to it.   I now have a box of Apple Crumble Cupcakes to take into work - I wont be able to deny making them as easily, but a sugar fix is a sugar fix when you are working, right?

2 comments:

  1. Sooz you do make me laugh, I love your style of cooking, throwing things together is definitely my style!. Shame the party was cancelled I was looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking forward to going :( Oh well, another time.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.