Friday 19 November 2021

Cowpat Moulds


Make the plaster recipe as shown, stir with hand until it starts to thicken…like a thick double cream. 

Pour onto the bench (rubbed with a little Vaseline beforehand) and form into a ‘cowpat’. 

Carve, roll  a texture into it.


Plaster Recipe for Cowpat:

·       1lb plaster powder

·       1lb molochite powder

1 pint water


This was my first piece, I scrumpled up a piece of Blue-Roll and laid some Bubble wrap over the top, I then poured the plaster mix on top of that to create the texture underneath.

Once dry, I turned it over and laid some sheet glass on top and put it in the kiln


I think the glass would have benefitted from being fired first to prevent any sharp edges, as the finished piece has taken on the textures, but the edges are still quite sharp.



For this piece I found a lovely piece of glass which had been screen printed already, which looked a little oriental to me.   So I used some bamboo skewers, laid them out on the bench and poured the plaster mix over the top.

Apart from the edges being a little sharp as before, the texture of the bamboo skewers worked well.

 


The screen printing faded a little in the kiln, but left enough to give an effect.



I am looking forward to experimenting more with this technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.