I love Pesto and just fancied a bowl of spaghetti pesto last week, but when I went to buy Pine Nuts in Morrisons they were all out! Apparently they haven't had any for ages for some strange reason.
So, it was a choice between having something different, or adapting the dish. Seen as I already had the basil in my basket, I decided to adapt and make it with Cashew Nuts instead. If you fancy having a go, the recipe is below :)
You will need:
- Cashew Nuts (not salted, just plain ones)
- Fresh Basil
- Sun Dried Tomatoes (in a jar)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
... and something to smash it all up with - could be a food processor, a pestal & mortar, or even a Smoothie maker ;)
What you do:
- Rip the basil leaves up by hand and pop them in the chosen receptacle.
(Ooooo, let's go for an arty view :) )
- Chuck in a handful of cashew nuts.
- Chop up the sun-dried tomatoes and chuck them in too. (I used about 6 pieces)
- Add a glug of olive oil (tablespoon ish)
- BLITZ !
And there you go, could it get any easier than that? Home made, wholesome, tasty pesto.