Wednesday 16 February 2022

Coldworking a Port Bottle

 For this practise session I needed a bottle – I thought this Port bottle was a particularly nice shape, so I emptied it  (the night before I must add), washed it, removed the labels then it was ready to go.


First I drew a basic pattern on with a Sharpie marker…. I added to this later on as it was a bit simple.

Then I took it to the diamond wheel and experimented with the different shaped discs to create some cuts.

I was surprised to find that the thicker wheels gave the best lines, I expected the thinner ones to do that, so it was really work experimenting with the different ones to find out.

 

As it happens, I wasn’t very steady when holding the bottle so my lines are a little on the wavy side – but it was just a practise piece, we all have to start somewhere!

 

As the lines were a bit wonky at the top, I thought I might add a couple of strips of sandblasting to hide them a bit.   I did this by adding strips of masking tape to the parts I didn’t want changed, and giving the rest of the bottle a good blast.

 


Quite happy with the result, it was a fun task and has given me some ideas for some other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.