Saturday 5 February 2022

Learning to make handbuilt Coil Pots

My first attempts at making coil pots.

With this technique you make a base then build the sides of the pots up using coils, which you then squish together.

First I went for a straight sided pot, which I then textured to look almost like wood.


The second one I wanted to be more sculptural – this was harder – and yet, it looks like it’s a mistake!   😊

 

I don’t think I like it at all – but maybe it will be a little more exciting once it is glazed.

I thought I would have another go – this time I build the shape of the pot then added loads of curly features to the outside.

 

The weight of the extra clay on the outside caused the pot to sag a little, so I held it up inside with a wooden tool while drying it with a hair dryer.  It helped a little but is still a little misshapen.


They went into the kiln for a biscuit firing at 800 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.