Thursday 17 March 2022

Gelflex Mould

I wanted to have a go at Pate De Verre (paste of glass) but first I needed a mould…

I had this broken wine glass which I thought was quite a nice shape for a little bowl.

So I took some chunks of Gelflex, popped it in a bowl and put it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes.

Once melted it looks like the most disgusting pea-green soup!


I stood my glass up in a bucket with a little sand in the bottom to keep it steady – and also to take some of the heat out of the Gelflex when I poured it into the glass.


Then it was a couple of hours wait for it to set.

 


The best thing about Gelflex is that once I am finished with this, it can be remelted and made into a different shape.

Getting it out of the glass was trickier than anticipated, it had a real good grip on the side of the glass.  But I got there in the end.


Quite pleased with that!

 


Now to make it into a plaster mould for my Pate De Verre.

I placed my shape upside down on the table (wiped with a little vaseline before hand to prevent sticking) and made a plaster mix.

  • ·       2lb plaster
  • ·       2lb molocite
  • ·       2 pints water


Then I patted it into shape over the mould.



Once it was dry it was time to ease the gelflex out of the plaster – which was easier than getting it out of the glass.


Now the mould is ready for my Pate De Verre.

 


And the Gelflex can stay to make another mould or be reheated to make something new.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.