Thursday 3 March 2022

Learning how to use 3D software

 One of our classes in our Uni course was to learn how to use 3D software - in this case an application called Rhino.


Our task was to build a tool that we could use, either within glass or clay.


I just could not fathom this out at all!   There were way too many options and things to remember.

I had worked out that if I failed this part of the module, yet got decent grades on the rest, I might just be ok.... but then I gave my head a shake and reminded myself that I was 'here to learn' and learn I would!

So, I took the bulls by the horns and admitted to the tutor that I had no clue whatsoever what I was doing in Rhino.  He offered me an extra lesson and an hour later I was creating tools  :)



I think my issue was the classes were two hours long, and I just don't seem to have the ability to digest that much information, I seem to need little snippets - go away and practise, then come back and learn some more.

So my extra class, which was only an hour long seemed to work well. I was then able to go home and practise this little bit and made some headway.


Still not sure if it is my favourite form of design, but at least I got something done.


My tool was then cut out of 10mm steel using a waterjet cutter.


But the work doesn't stop there!  I now need to make it all nice and shiny and comfortable to hold.


There are a few hours work ahead of me yet to get this tool finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.