Saturday 19 March 2022

Silicon Mould – tiny trainers

Todays demo was on making Silicon Moulds.

The benefit of silicon moulds is that they are reusable over and over again – for various uses too – wax, resin, polymer clay etc…

The silicon I used for this project was a 1-1 mix which you can find on Amazon.


As the silicon is quite expensive I wanted to try it on a smaller item first… so I had a look about my local B&M shop and found these little trainers  (they seem to be collectable and come in a blind bag).  I thought they would work really well.


The little shoes are hollow which I thought might cause an issue with the silicon going right inside, so I partially stuffed them with a dog-poop bag.

Then I stuck them into a little plastic pot using a glue dot.

If I didn’t stick them down I thought they might float up when the silicon was added.


Time to mix and add the silicon.

I had just enough to cover the shoes luckily.

The price of this was £10.00


Then it was a long, overnight wait, for the silicon to set.


Then next day I could turn it out of the plastic pot and flip it over. The silicon had covered the bottom of the shoes every so slightly with a thin layer, but I could easily cut this away with a craft knife.


They came out nice and clean and left a good impression in the silicon.


Now it was time to see if the mould had worked.  I poured warm melted wax into it… and waited until it had set.


They turned out better than I expected.  I would need to give them a little tidy up, and go around the inside of the trainer with a hot tool to melt the wax a little and make it a little neater.  But quite pleased with those.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.