Saturday 30 January 2021

A mini Rainbow Swirl floor rug.

 


As well as trying to squeeze as many crafts into this little shed as possible, I also want to cover varying skill levels.  I want to show that crafting is accessible across all generations and ages and to people with limited dexterity.  Anyone can craft. Everyone should craft. Crafting can heal your soul.

 

So, I returned to something I had done as a child… apart from the regular slapping of paint on a piece of paper, this is the first craft I can ever remember doing and I thought it would make a most marvellous floor rug for my Mini Shed.

 

Back then we called it a Knitting Nancy.  The first one I had was a wooden bobbin with four nails banged into it.  Can you imagine my joy when one Christmas I was upgraded to a beautifully painted tall one which looked like a little wooden doll.  The problem was, way back then, that I used to make miles and miles of this knitted tubing and make loads of, always unused, tablemats.  There wasn’t the internet for inspirational ideas of what you could make with your tubing, so you just made it.  On and on and on.  Until it got to the point that people refused to give you any more yarn as it was a waste  😊

If you Google FRENCH KNITTING IDEAS, there are loads of inspirational things to get you excited.

 

Anyway, I grabbed a knitting doll – my old one is long gone…. or is it?  (I might have to check my parents attic and come back to you on that one) and some multicoloured yarn.  One thing I used to get excited about when I was young was seeing a new colour pop out of the bottom of the knitting doll.  This still happens.



I got to work making the tubing.  You need to make an awful lot of tubing to make a dinner mat sized rug.


On and on and on…….


Until I thought I probably had enough.

It took ages to sew it, probably as long as it took to make it. I wanted to sew it in a way that it formed a ridge all the way round in a spiral design.  It worked well. I am really pleased with the rainbow effect that the yarn gave me, it also had a glitter thread running through it, everyone loves a bit of sparkle 😊

It took about 6 hours to make the tubing and sew it up.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.