30th November 2020
I have started making plans on my final artefact. I am glad we have a bit of time to get this done as my plans have just snowballed.
Keith (our tutor) mentioned something briefly, after giving me feedback on my presentation, about using a ‘real shed’ in my exhibition piece. I think this was just a throwaway comment but it got me to thinking that actually, I could use a Shed, a mini one.
My own business name is ‘Sooz in The Shed’, my business before was called ‘The Bead Shed’ so I feel that to keep The Shed concept and grow it could be interesting. I also covered in my Presentation a small snippet of information regarding the Men’s Shed movement, to try and get men to congregate and fight against isolation.
There is also a phrase that I have heard used quite often that is “My head is a shed”, this is British slang for ‘I am confused, stressed, mentally disoriented, etc.’
So, I thought, I could get a small shed and fill it full of every craft I can think of – to give people ideas and inspiration of what they can do themselves to enable them to join in with mindful crafts. If they can admire or pick up a piece, they might feel inspired to give it a go.
Along side The Shed I will produce a document which shows what each craft is called and a very short description. People can take a copy away so they can research the craft they might fancy some more.
- · To design and build a mini shed – about 2’ cubed with a removable roof. To sit on a piece of wood for a garden.
- · Hinged Door with sign to let people know what is happening within The Shed.
- · Stained Glass Windows. (copper foiled stained glass technique)
- · 2 Beanbags (Machine Sewing)
- · Wooden bench with faux leather upholstery (upholstery)
- · Table with Decoupaged top (decoupage)
- · Crochet and knitted blankets (yarn crafts)
- · Carpet for the floor (rag rug)
- · Embroidered cushions (embroidery)
- · Mini artist easel (abstract art)
- · Wall decorations (cross stitch and quilted panel)
- · Clock (Polymer Clay and a watch face)
- · Bunting (upcycled fabric)
- · Fake grass on the garden part, with a little pond for reflection (recycled fused glass or resin)
- · Toadstool ring (Polymer Clay)
- · Deck chairs (lolly sticks and fabric)
- · Flower garlands (beadweaving)
- · Mini Cake on table (Polymer Clay)
So, let's do this!!
So, let's do this!!