Monday 18 May 2015

Pickled Cucumber Recipe

When going for an Afternoon Tea at The Butterfly & The Pig in Glasgow a few months ago, we were served a gorgeous marinated/pickled cucumber dish on the side of the sandwiches.

Since then I have been craving it!!  I did ask for the recipe at the time, but it is a closely guarded secret  ;)   So, I had to make my own, based on what flavours I could taste at the time.

Here is my version of pickled cucumber.


What you need:
  • Half a Cucumber
  • White Wine Vinegar
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Rock Salt
  • White Sugar
What you do:
  • Thinly slice the cucumber and lay it out on a plate.  Sprinkle it with Rock Salt and leave it for a while to draw out the juices.  Pat with kitchen roll or a clean tea-towel.  Shake off the salt and pop it in a dish.
  • Then add a teaspoon of white sugar.

  • Next a tablespoon of white wine vinegar and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.

  • Into the bowl it goes.  Now let it soak those juices right in, give it a stir now and again.  The longer you leave it the more soggy and tasty the cucumber becomes.  You can even jar it up and keep it in the fridge for a few days.

  • Serve   :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.