Thursday 10 April 2014

Black-Eye Bean Burgers

It's leftover food recipe time here  :)  And what is better than a good, wholesome, tasty burger?  Not a lot to be honest.


What I had in the fridge from the evening before was a pile of mashed swede and carrot and some sliced carrot (Hubster doesn't like swede so he gets plain carrot with his dinner  :) )  What could I do with it that was interesting and would make a tasty new meal?

I grabbed some blackeye beans, a couple of slices of bread  (crust included), an egg...


... some cheese, and herbs and chillies  (I seem to put chillies in everything!)


I blitzed up the breadcrumbs in my Kenwood Smoothie Maker.  I don't make Smoothies but this gadget is perfect for breadcrumbs  :)


Then I mashed up the beans a bit with a masher.  They have a gorgeous nutty smell when they get broken up a bit.


Chuck it all in a bowl - swede & carrot mash, sliced carrot, beaten egg, breadcrumbs, grated cheese, blackeye beans - nothing measured as per usual.


Pop it in the fridge until you are ready to eat, as it is easier to handle when it is chilled a bit.


Form into good sized burgers, pat down a little so they are easier to cook right through.


Heat up a little oil in a frying pan and cook one side until nice and crispy golden.


Turn carefully and cook the other side to match.


I served with a blob of hummous and a squirt of sweet chilli sauce.


Nom nom.


You could use any leftover veggies to make these, just add the beans for body, breadcrumbs to give it bulk and the egg to bind and you can make them from almost anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.