Tuesday 29 January 2013

Egg-free Cookies

Last time I made fruit cream cookies  (http://soozintheshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/tropical-cookies.html)  I got a little sad face staring back at me.  Marie, my DIL2B  (work that one out ;) )  is allergic to eggs and of course there was egg in my cookies.

So I promised to make her some egg free ones.  The mixture I use (with the egg) works quite well, so I thought all I needed to do was to swap the egg for something else that would bind the mix.  Checking out my cupboards I had a tin of condensed milk and a jar of syrup.

I decided on the syrup and added a couple blobs, mixing it in well.

Now, how much would they spread when cooking?  Not too much as it happens, but they did have to be a good golden brown otherwise they were a bit chewy.


I sandwiched them together with all three of these yummy icing pots, made with real fruit juice.


Want the recipe?

  • 6oz golden caster sugar
  • 8oz margarine
  • 12oz self raising flour
  • 4 tbsp golden syrup
Beat the sugar and butter together well, chuck in flour and syrup and mix well until fully blended.

Pile onto a greasproof paper lined tray in conker sized blobs, leaving room for a little spreading.

Bake at Gas 4 for around 20 mins, until golden brown.

Leave to cool on the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack.

Sandwich with fruity icing then dust with icing sugar.



As I sandwich the cookies I make this amount otherwise you only end up with about 9 portions. (No good in my sweet-toothed family)

Shona reckons they taste like flapjacks without the oats - must be the syrup.  They are rather sweet though, so not for the faint-hearted  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.