Tuesday 7 May 2013

Spicy Mixed Veg Soup

Have you been following my "things to do with a bag of mixed veg" posts?

Well, here is another one for you.  Spicy mixed veg soup.


You will need:

  • Frozen chopped onion
  • One large potato
  • Bag of frozen mixed veg
  • Olive oil
  • Mustard powder
  • Chilli Powder
  • Veggie Stock


What you do:
  • Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a good non-stick pan, or a soup maker as in my case. 
  • Add the chopped frozen onions, half a teaspoon of mustard powder and half a teaspoon of chilli powder  (this gives the soup a little bite, but is not over spicy, add more chilli if you like it hot)
  • Sauté a little.
  • Peel and chop up the potato into small pieces, they need to be quite small so they cook along with the veg.
  • Add to the pan along with the mixed veg (I tend to use the potato as a guide, however big the potato is add four times as much veg)
  • Add stock to just cover the veg - I like this Marigold Bouillon powder as it has a lovely flavour.
  • Cook for around 15-20 mins then blitz until smooth.  (the potato acts as a thickener.
  • Season to taste.
  • Serve with crusty bread & a generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.

This is a great way of getting kids to have some veggies, even if they only eat it scooped onto the bread (like Shona used to when she was little) it all helps towards their 5 a day.

As for my Cuisinart soup-maker, only this morning I got an email from Amazon to tell me they had dropped in price to  £126, mine has been worth every penny, it is one of my most used kitchen gadgets.



Nom nom  :)

ps: The Amazon links I've scattered throughout the page are affiliated  if you click and buy I might get a few pennies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.