Saturday 21 February 2015

Vegetarian Haggis stuffed Pancakes

What did you have in your pancakes on Shrove Tuesday?   Sweet or Savoury?

We decided to have both  :)  As you do.

First off the savoury ones.  It was a real fridge/cupboard buster - using up bits we already had in.  Well, that is what pancake day is all about really isn't it?

I found half a packet of Vegetarian Haggis in the freezer so thought I would use that, but you can bung almost anything into a pancake you know.  Try it and see.


As per usual, I don't measure ingredients.  Chuck a bit of flour in a bowl.  A mug or two full should do 6 pancakes.  I allow two each for the main savoury dish, then a smaller sweet one for afters.

Make a hole in the middle of the flour and crack in an egg.  Mix this middle eggy bit round and around until it becomes too stiff.


Then alternate between milk and cold water, adding splash by splash until you have a thick cream consistence.


Heat up some oil or butter in a non-stick frying pan and when hot, drop in a ladle of mix, turning the pan so it swishes to the edges.   The first pancake is never going to look pretty - they always look a bit rough around the edges, the the next look look great!

Wait until it is cooked then flip it, toss it - whatever you are comfortable with.


Make as many as you need and pile them up.


Next prepare your filling.  As I mentioned I used this Veggie Haggis that I had in the freezer.  I cooked it according to the instructions as your feeling needs to be ready cooked.  Leftovers are great for this, curry, bolognese, lentils....


Plop your filling into one half of a pancake.


Roll up and place in an overproof dish.


Cover with a tomato based sauce.  I keep this budget (37p) pasta sauce in the cupboard for emergencies, so it comes in handy for meals like this.


Then add grated cheese and a sprinkling of dried herbs.


Bake for around 30 minutes at Gas 6 - or regular medium heat.


 VoilĂ !


A yummy stuffed pancake dinner.   The veggie haggis worked very well in case you wondered.


I did Hubster a Chilli Chicken one.  I spread the pancakes with soft cheese, added the flavoured chicken and rolled up. I finished with the sauce and cheese in the same way.




He is posh and has lemon and sugar on his sweet pancake, whereas I had a dollop of golden syrup  :)

Nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.